Monday, October 6, 2008

February 19, 1828


Rev. James Turnbull No. 21
Salisbury Street
Edinburgh





Brown Street February 19 1828

My Dear Son
I arrived at home in safety on that day I left you and though it was cold there was fine weather all the way home mother and Alexander was very glad to see me and to hear that you and sister was both well he was very proud on receiving the books and reads one of them every night with great pleasure.
you will by this time have begun your evening sermons before that solomn ordinance may the Lord give you every grace that is needfull for you and perfect his strength in your weakness and carry you honourably and comfortable throw the whole of the work on the great day of the feast so that you may have cause to say the Lord hath helped me.

I hope that you are more comfortable by this time and may the God of peace rule in your hearts and in your house.

See that you show every kindness to sister and be a comfort to her you know her sorrows. O feel for her and make her as happy as you can. She has done much for you and is still willing to do everything to serve you.
You may let us hear from you by Lochhead when he comes west this leaves us all well, Mother and Alex joins me in sending our best wishes for your welfare

I remain your loving Father Robt Turnbull




This second letter comes 7 months after the first and his sister is still living with him in Edinburgh. One curiosity is that on the first page, the word mother is crossed out and replaced with sister when referring to Alexander and then Betty. Since we know little about these two, it is probably safe to say that Betty, as James's sister, has allowed Alexander to be raised by her parents. As I stated previously, I know she was married Oct 31, 1813 to a William Smith, but I haven't found a birth registry for Alexander. From these letters, I would assume him to be between 10 and 15 at this time. Alex is living with his grandparents in Glasgow and the letter alludes to Betty's troubles, whatever they may be. Robert lives on Brown Street in Bridgeton which can still be found in modern-day Glasgow.

No comments: